COAHSI accepting applications for arts awards
The Council on the Arts and Humanities for Staten Island announced that applications are being accepted for its 2011 “Excellence in the Arts Awards.” COAHSI presents these awards to encourage the professional development of Staten Island artists who demonstrate excellence in their field. Award recipients will be featured in COAHSI’s Summerfest, a series of free events in public spaces throughout Staten Island during June.
In 2011, the following awards will be given:
• Four $1,000 awards for music (solo musicians and musical groups)
• Four $1,000 awards for public art, performance art, and film (dance, film, animation, performance art, public and community art)
Applicants must be Staten Island residents, 18 years and older, and not enrolled in a full-time school or college program. Both individuals and groups may apply for this award. Collaborations are encouraged. Applicants may apply to only one category.
To apply, visit www.statenislandarts.org. The application deadline is Feb. 11. For more information, contact Racquel Cornali at (718) 447-3329 ext. 1003 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need to get to work? Turn to NY Rideshare
NY Rideshare, sponsored by the state Department of Transportation, helps commuters and employers in the New York metropolitan area find and use easy, cost-effective and reliable alternatives to driving alone, including carpooling, vanpooling, mass transit and telecommuting.
NY Rideshare offers a New York City Commute Enhancement Grant that offers up to $10,000 to fund a commuter benefit program. The grant is to be used for projects that will get single occupancy vehicles off the road. Here is a small list of what the grant has been used for:
• Add bike racks, lockers, showers to encourage biking to work
• Provide high speed Internet access or phones for telecommuters
• Metro Cards for employees currently driving to work alone that are willing to try mass transit
• Improve walkways and lighting to promote walking to work and taking mass transit
• Lease a shuttle bus to transport commuters from mass transit hubs to an office
• Enhance a worksite to accommodate priority parking for vanpool and carpool vehicles
• Oil changes for carpoolers
For more information, visit www.511NYRideshare.org or call (718) 886-1343 ext. 0512.
CSI class looking for NFPs for market research study
The College of Staten Island’s Marketing Research class, an upper-level undergraduate required course for all junior or senior marketing majors, is looking for not-for-profit organizations interested in benefitting from a market research study.
Students will perform a study to help the not-for-profit determine:
• The profile of current members, donors, supporters, contributors and clients-audience, including their demographics, lifestyle, and spending and participation behavior in order to better serve their needs, as well as market segmentation.
• Who are competitors? How is the organization regarded? What marketing areas could become more effective?
Information will be compiled from a specially created questionnaire that will be sent to the organization’s constituents. The non-profit will receive a comprehensive report and video presentation of results upon completion of the project.
Interested parties should contact CSI Adjunct Lecturer Bill Dubovsky at email@example.com for more information.