A department store at the Staten Island Mall filled with poison carbon monoxide Tuesday morning, and four people had to be hospitalized from the fumes.
Two workers and two NYPD officers were rushed to Richmond Hospital, according to My Fox NY.
The cause of the leak is unknown.
Carbon monoxide gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless and otherwise undetectable – but deadly. For that reason, it can poison people long before the even become aware of it. In October 2004, Albanian singer Anita Bitri, her mother, and her 8-year-old daughter died in their Ocean Avenue home because of a carbon monoxide leak from a downstairs boiler.